Monday, 22 July 2013

#3 "Hygga" or Other good stuff

Whatever compact camera had the fullest battery at the time

They say Denmark is one of the happiest countries in Europe. I too would be happy in a country where the QUEEN translated all of the Lord of the Rings books. I'm not even making this up. And it doesn't hurt that they have a word that means "being at peace with oneself" or "in a state of nirvana"- I actually don't remember the exact explanation I was given at the time, just that it left me with a great desire to live by what it meant, so I'm sure it was good. Plus, it sounded like "Uga", and any excuse to say "uga" and still maintain credibility in a conversation gets bonus points from me. Also there's that whole danish thing. I mean the danish, the one people on TV love to eat in diners and poor old me always wanted to know what the hell it was. Well it turns out, ladies and gentleman, american television has done it again and picked the wrong pastry. Oh yes, the real danish is actually pretty disgusting. Of course I don't know what the fake danish looks, or tastes like so this observation is totally irrelevant. Anyway I think this picture pretty much sums up how freaking happy (I was gonna say civilized or evolved but meh) the danish are. I mean the people, not the pastry.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, you've got it, mostly. But "hygga" is hard to translate, easier to feel, and to suddenly realize when you are experiencing it....that's the nirvana part you're grasping. Think of being with friends and family with whom you enjoy spending time, it's midsommer evening, the long sun has just gone down. There is a fire, and some beverages, great conversation, and suddenly you get the feeling like "Simeon at the temple"...that if you died just now, you would die a happy man. That's hygga!

    ReplyDelete